Good TED and TEDx speakers tend to be energetic people who “DO” things in life – they don't justtalk about what is and isn't or what is right and what is not. They get out and live life. They havethe vision to see bigger pictures. They want to share what they have learned. They want theiraudience to come away informed and inspired. The best speakers talk about ideas – not themselves. And many of the most memorable speakers are those who use humor and exhibit very human emotions while telling their story.
This is what we seek.
As a way to help us find these people, and to help us understand the power their stories may carry, these are the general guidelines we follow when evaluating potential candidates:
Unusual or new story/perspective/initiative/work
Many of the best TED and TEDx talks are those that either present something totally new and innovative or they take everyday thoughts or things and help you to see them in a new light.
While we all love a good story, we don't just want good stories or topics — we want our speakers to have good stories that teach us something and make us feel. The audience should want to get up and help/act/do something for ourselves or others as a result of the talk.
Show us your charisma! What is charisma? You know it when you see it. Forbes Magazine says charisma includes:
- Self-confidence, enthusiasm, optimism
- Telling great stories, speaking with conviction, being relevant & using humor
- Being comfortable in your body, open and approachable, gracious and graceful
- Making your point/conversation be about other people, putting others at ease and making them feel comfortable with you
- Showing you are a good listener. Paying attention, engaging and being empathetic with others
Local voices few have yet heard or international voices with Georgian context
We want Georgian faces on the stage! All of us at TEDxTbilisi love Georgia and want to highlight to the world what an amazing place this is and what great people and ideas can be found here.
Something new for the TEDx community/enriching others knowledge about local issues
This is a bonus criterion. It is a challenge we happily take on, searching for talks that are equally interesting and relevant for Georgia and the international TED community.
Overall – we want diversity in demographics, gender, backgrounds, stories and ideas. This pretty much says it all.
Technical requirements – all of which are non-negotiable:
- Fluency in English
- Can be in Tbilisi before the event for rehearsal
- Must send the presentation (Full version) at least TWO weeks before the event